Wedding Peach Vol 1 by Nao Yazawa

Wedding Peach, Vol. 1 - Sukehiro Tomita

In terms of story and originality, this might not be the best take on the magic girl genre, but I still really love this series.

It is a highly nostalgic manga series for me. It is super ridicules, I'll admit. Momoko accepts that she is a magical girl too easily and automatically knows how to fight, and all her magic spell catch phrases, but we can argue that it is destiny and of course she would know all this.

Princess Peach has all the magical girl stereotypes. All the girls are swoon/crazy in love with the sports stars, trying to give them bento boxes, the main character Momoko has a love/hate relationship with a guy who is highly likely to be her love interest. It is super obvious.

Our lovely newly turned magical girl goes through the whole "I like him, no but I can't, he's rude and mean, but deep down he has a heart of gold" thing with this guy. It's so cheesy, and overdone, but I can't help but still like this and think overall it is very cute, makes me feel like a giggly teenager again.

I want to point out that in a lot of stories the love interest like this are usually just jerks/mean, maybe even abusive and that is seen as dark and brooding, romanticized, but the boy in this manga isn't really a bad person, and I don't believe their budding relationship is toxic or problematic. Some people take the "boys are mean because they like me" thing way over the top in real life and in stories as well; I don't feel like this one was over the top, just judging from the first volume, at least.

I've heard people say it is a rip off of Sailor Moon, but I have a feeling people think that of a lot of magical girl manga. Whether or not it is a rip off, I'm not bothered by it.

This volume had sweet moments, moments where I was like "oh, that's cute," but there were also a couple moments where my heart was touched. Maybe I am too sentimental?

It is cliche, of course. People are going to either love it or hate it.

P.S I really want my own Jama P pet.

"Miss Peach! Much Happy!"