It Nearly Wasn't Christmas & Holiday Books!

Yay, so it is that time of year. I like the holiday spirit (though from inside the comfort of my own room! I love everybody but boy do gatherings stress me out) and I've got some books picked out that are either Christmas/Winter based, or just give me the warm, happy fuzzies. I made a TBR video on my Youtube channel, but I am bad at sticking to those!

On the flip side, I want to watch the Christmas movies (even though I hardly watch movies these days) I'm thinking about all the old ones.

It Nearly Wasn't Christmas which is my favorite cheesy one to watch and I usually watch it every year. It's from 1989, but I think I was a teen when I first saw it. I like the music in it. As far as I remember, there is one song, which is basically the theme song of the movie: "It almost wasn't Christmas this year..." The guy who sings it is really good, in my opinion. I just figured out he was an Osmond. Wayne Osmond; that might explain why he is good.

This movie talks about how people are wanting more and more and getting greedy, and it shows people learning again what the holiday is really about. The main character does her own learning.

She does kind of bugs me as an adult. She starts off super selfish and well.. bratty, but I think she grows and learns what Christmas is really about by the end. It might sound super cheesy, but I love how everyone ended up turning over a new leaf, so to speak and just coming together. I even cry at the end of this movie.

This movie might be old, but I think it still rings true. People really do get so busy and caught up with having everything just perfect and wanting too much and they are forgetting what is more important, family, friends, love for others. (This doesn't go just for Christmas, but all holidays!)

Favorite characters:
Clumsy elf Philpot, played by Bruce Vilanch. He's so endearing, even though they use the stereotype that big guys are clumsy and not that smart. I feel like Santa learns that his elf is smart and good in his own way. It doesn't hurt that he is funny, too! [He was a favorite as a child, but I still like him.]

The conman Napoleon played by Ted Lange. I like him and his parrot, as strange as it is. I'm a sucker for the ending when he seems to turn over a new leaf, though the whole thing is predictable. [As an adult, I realize this character serves no real purpose. He's hardly in the movie except the jail scene and at the end. The other times, he's just driving on his motor bike. He's only there to cause problems with Santa.]

All my feels for this could be nostalgic talking. I just watched the movie again and it is even more cheesy than I remembered. I admit as an adult I realize everything is solved too quickly. People are so quick to believe in Santa and the movie wraps up too easily.

What are your favorite holiday books and movies? What books/movies do you know are cheesy or even bad, but you still love them because they are nostalgic?