Soul Surfer by Bethany Hamilton

Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board - Bethany Hamilton, Sheryl Berk, Rick Bundschuh

She is really inspiring. Something major happened to her, but she got back up and continued to do what she loved.

I enjoyed the book, but not the writing style as much. I've seen people complain that she did not talk more about the shark and how things were different after, with having one arm, and how she adapted to doing things differently, or how she talked about the making of her movie. But this book isn't meant to dwell just the attack; it's meant to be about her life, and that would include her faith and the movie.

I also want to add, I love sharks. They get a bad rep for this sort of thing. They don't see humans as food, and usually leave after having a nibble (they mistake you as their food.) But that nibble is usually enough to kill or seriously maim someone. They are not evil killing machines or an useless animal as I've seen a lot of people say. It is their world people "invade" for a lack of a better word and they might be curious about you if you are flailing around and seem like a seal in distress.

I can't speak for her personally, but I do feel like she is the type of person who would not blame the shark, and would know it wasn't the sharks fault. I can't remember what she said exactly in the book about this, but I remember in the movie, she was upset when people went after sharks, hunting and killing a bunch. I mean she is a firm believer in God, and sharks are one of his creatures, right?

This is a true story, written by someone who is not a professional writer, so I did find some of it choppy and odd. She is amazing and I wish her well. I hope she continues to inspire people.