Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston

I did it! I read this book.

Now you're thinking that it isn't such a big deal to read a children's book. It could take most readers a day or two, but I had the nuttiest inspiration to read this book out loud to myself. I do not live alone and I could only read this when there was nobody around. Plus I could not read for very long periods of times because my throat would start to hurt. Needless to say, it took me a while to read this. I could have pushed myself and read every day, but I didn't, plus I was reading other things too.

I did not expect so much feeling from this book. It really does remind me of Dr. Seuss and Raold Dahl like the blurb on the book says. It also has A Series of Unfortunate vibe in the sense that it is a children's book that doesn't sugar coat words. It is very dark and morbid at times. I love this about children books. People do not give kids enough credit and they can handle a bunch more than sickly sweet stories where nothing bad happens, so it is nice to have a series like Lemony Snicket's or this book.

There were times in the book were I got choked up while reading and that came out of the blue. The characters were really well written and I felt close to them.

The only reason it did not get a five star is two bits. There was a point where one of the characters was mean to another character and it irked me quite a lot because I thought she would know better than treat someone that way, considering how her guardian was toward her. This only happened once, so I wasn't bothered enough to stop reading, which I could have been if it continued to happen.

The other bit is some of the writing did not flow as well as a verse should flow. This might be because I'm reading it out loud, but it should roll off the tongue, I believe and be like a song or epic poem. (The rhyming kind.)

Other than that I loved this book and the characters. Even the villains were done so bad that they were good, you know what I mean. Same as the parents in a lot of children books, I disliked the guardian figure in this story, but you are meant to. The author wrote her so creepily well.

Side note, this is the first book I have wrote in, marked up, highlighted since I was a child and that wasn't seen as so taboo in the book community. I don't know if I will continue to annotate my books, but the experience, though frightening, was very fun.