Wish by Joseph Monninger

I would like to point out that I got this book on a whim because it cost .79 cents used. I am so glad I got it.

This book was fast paced. I did like it, though the mother annoyed me. I get why she is that way, but still!

They are on vacation for their son's wish (similar to the make a wish foundation for cancer patients. He has cystic fibrosis) and the mother is flirting around and leaving them alone to go on dates. That just seemed unusual and cruel to the kids.

I know she is craving attention from men, but the book made it sound like she was always doing things like that. A vacation should be family time, but that is my personal opinion. Making friends are fine and dandy, but don't go off leaving your kids alone all night, leaving them to wonder where they heck you are and if you're coming back.

I can understand why the kids did what they did; the mom had every right to be worried..etc, but to me it seemed like they were copying something she often did. They had no idea when she would be back and a limited time to do things. I probably would have left, too and had a mini adventure.

I do think the sister should have put her foot down about letting her brother surf. I know it was a once in a lifetime thing for him, but he really could have died. I might have let my heart win too and let him surf as well, but if I am ever faced with a similar situation, I hope I am thinking rationally. However, I can understand the brothers feelings of wanting something so bad, but your body not able to do or enjoy it.

(show spoiler)

There are some moments that made me tear up. I love when books can give me strong emotional feelings and this one delivered.