Meritropolis by Joel Ohman

Meritropolis - Joel Ohman

*I won this in a Goodreads giveaway!*

Here are my first impressions:

* Well written, though every now and again sentence flow is a little off, but that is my personal opinion as I am no expert on writing.
* The author writes action scenes really well. I really enjoyed them.
* The plot is engaging and pulls the reader in. I haven't seen a plot like this before.

More impressions:

* While the idea behind the plot itself is engaging and it pulled me in at chapter 1, I'm finding this is going too slow. I'm bored at this point. It is not the author's fault as I am a mood reader and really prefer fast paced books, depending on my current mood.
* There are too many characters and POV changing in each chapter. This is a personal preference. I like books with a reasonable amount of characters and not very many POVs and I prefer if the POV only changes at the start of a new chapter.
* I don't like Charley so far.
* There is a character who is described as having an ugliness with a hardness to it, an almost animalistic quality that seemed wild and menacing -inhuman. Then it goes on to say that his most amazing quality is his smile - it could melt paint off of walls. It was so pure and bursting with child-like goodwill.... I like the way the author describes this guy, but at the same time, the way it is worded in the book sounds a little funny. The above description is not quoted word for word. Though I do love the idea of an unattractive or scary looking person having a pure, amazing smile.

Final thoughts:

I did like the novel. There were some interesting twists and turns. The characters grow on you after a while. There does seem to be some editing errors that need polishing, but that is on the editor and not the author. I feel like Joel Ohman is good at what he does and hope he continues.

23208521